Thursday, August 06, 2009

The Year of the Beck

I feel like I owe "future Lily" some kind of explanation for being absent in the blog world. Something happened this year, but I still can't put my finger on it. That said, if I don't explain where I've been, my kids may not remember "the Year of the Beck."

Mother's are prone to self-sacrifice and are celebrated for over-extending themselves, which is why I have avoided documenting the details of 2009. While no one in my family has lived a day without food and shelter this year, I have asked them to go without quite a bit. I wish there wasn't shame in it, but self preservation is difficult to claim.

I started blogging while my children were sleeping. It felt like something constructive to do with my sleeplessness; as well as a kind of useful archive in the event my kids need explanation for who they are and what they may become. Over the last 9-12 months, I chose to do other things with my free time.

All four of the people who read this little ditty have asked me to revisit the blog, if for no other reason than provide the opportunity to revel in my oddity. Those same people are the ones who made this year possible. I hope that by documenting the past 9 months, I will give tribute and show my appreciation to those who shared my burden and provided me a great adventure.

I have the posts in my head, like bullet points to a great story. It isn't the story of my life, just the best year I have experienced thus far. I don't fool myself to believe this is interesting to anyone but me...but I hope reflecting will be as rewarding as the experiences themselves.

1. It took a jock from Dalton
2. The Gold Standard
3. Waking up in Vegas
4. Rotisserie Chicken and Barney Butter.
5. Archangelo Liberatore
6. The Race of me vs. me.
7. The Moving Target.

4 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Mike Stavlund said...

Please don't forget that many have *benefitted* from the year of the Beck. Like me, for instance.

Glad you're back, Beck!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Mamie said...

So happy to have some good reading about my adorable grandkids.

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Beck. You DID NOT post this on August 6 (that's what it says?). I know you didn't post in August, b/c I've been a very faithful stalker of your blog for months and I've had nothing... :) I would like to claim 2010 as the year of the T-Shon (I'm willing to share). I'll be all degreed and such and lookin' for career changes. It's mine! I'll try to do it right by you.

T

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger View From Above said...

Make that five, Becky. Even though I was all non-verbal about it.

You were missed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home