Thursday, January 12, 2006

She works hard for her money, so hard for it honey. She works hard for her money so you better treat her right."

I am sure all full time working moms have these moments. Moments where you can't believe how much has to happen in a day to prevent being fired or having your children taken by family services. It is not at all uncommon to hear me singing at the top of my lungs, "SO HARD for IT HONEY!" from my office (primarily for the benefit of my business partner and husband).

While having dinner with a dear friend this week, we exchanged play by plays of a normal day in our life. She has one year old triplets and a 3 year old toe head. This woman may not have to report to anyone, but believe you me, she is on the clock 24-7. She seems to think her life is easy compared to mine, but I know better. Sure, I have a little extra anxiety thrown into each day, but nothing is more taxing that pulling off the role of wife and mother. My business is flourishing with record numbers, but my kids haven't had their teeth brushed in two days and I can't remember the last time I spoke to my husband about anything other than work or the survival of our children. I told Lily to pray to herself last night, too weary to keep my eyes open.

Don't get me wrong, the days aren't always like this, but the truth is, it isn't uncommon.

I fell asleep angry that another day went by without "me" time. I am ashamed to even say it outloud. What a selfish person I have become that if I can't carve out a part of my day that serves only me, I pout about it.

I wonder if victims of hurricane Katrina look for "me" time in a day. Or parent's who have lost their children. Or providers who have just lost their job. Or a mother whose spouse died of cancer.

If only I had a heart that saw the work laid before me as a precious gift. Where all the "we" time would be seen as a noble task appointed by the King Himself. I know people like this, who live to serve and don't have any bones about it. I am not there yet, but I suppose it is what I am shooting for and praying for on a daily basis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home