Beginning of the End
Dear Lil,
Today I dropped you off for your first official day of kindergarten. While I know there are many mothers who have to force each step and hold back the tears; I am not one of them. I couldn't wait to set you free. Not because I want to be of rid of you or keep up with government standards of education; but because I can't wait to see you tackle the next step. Up until now, most of your development and milestones have meant new challenges for me.
This one is all you.
Sure, I can send you with healthy, balanced (meat-free) lunches and love notes with little icons for each word; but the moment our sweaty hand-hold breaks and we hug one more time--you are 100% responsible for yourself. There are great teachers and fun classmates, but ultimately; you will be held accountable for your own behavior and choices.
Ideally, your Papa and I have given you all the appropriate tools and procedures; but we don't get to follow you to the construction site. We've "packed your bag" with good rest and clean ears, fresh clothes and new shoes...but we all know it takes more than that to make it.
As we approached the dreaded "drop-off" lane, I peaked in the rear-view mirror for one last glance at my baby. You were sucking your thumb with tremendous force; as if to get your fix before you entered the land where such child-like behavior is unacceptable. Unafraid to express your concerns, you suggest I walk you in a couple more times to "make sure you get the hang of things."
I was honored to be your escort and know there will soon be a day when I am no longer invited.
After we said good-bye, I walked away hoping I had left you with the same strength I was leaving with...knowing full well we will both need the comfort and guidance of our Savior today.

2 Comments:
Absolutely beautiful.
I got goosebumps and the whole nine.
You go, Lily and make your mark in this wide, wonderful and sometimes confused world. This one's for you.
And mom, kudos to you for balancing the letting go and the holding on.
okay, so I cried reading this. I admit it.
Post a Comment
<< Home