A Decade
I do my best to let my hard working man sleep through the goings on of the morning. No one can work 12-15 hour days, sleep 5, and do it all over again for months on end...even my work horse. I often leave him a cup of coffee by the bed, hoping the aroma will gently lure him from his precious slumber.
Just before the little people and I leave the house, we all pile in the room for hugs and kisses from Papa before we go our separate ways. I took the first hug on this particular day; wanting to express how sorry I am for how hard things are...but how grateful I am for his enduring strength...how much I appreciate his willingness to work without grumbling.
Hugs feel like vacations these days, so I knew I should slow the chaos of the morning long enough to put my affection on his radar. I felt his tense shoulders soften and knew it was all he needed...I squeezed him tight, told him we will get through this, and thanked him for being who he is.
Our tired faces turned to smiles as we heard the comments from our audience, " Eeeewwwww, MARRIAGE LOVE!!!! YUCKY!!!" they screamed; horrified to witness their parents in an embrace that indicated we were something other than their personal assistants.
It's been a tough week, months, year; but something about our offspring acknowledging our commitment felt like the best anniversary gift we could ask for. Who needs romantic get aways and dinners by candle light when you've got compliments like that?
Ten years ago today, we promised something before God and 350 of our closest friends and family. If I'm being honest, I don't remember saying those vows, or even what they were. I just knew I was in this one; with this one--for the long hall. I remember crying; not because I felt overly emotional, but because I couldn't bear the sight of seeing him cry. I knew he was scared and lacked confidence; but I knew he was exactly what God had made for me. I haven't doubted it since.

1 Comments:
oh, now come ON. this rivals someone else's anniversary blog of just a couple weeks ago...what IS it with the people on this block?
and I'm so sorry I missed giving you guys kudos...ten years is huge, and you guys deserve MUCH credit. (you and God, that is.) happy happiness to you both, and keep plugging away!
Post a Comment
<< Home