Sunday, June 01, 2008

Porch life and the big lie

It's no secret that I am a huge proponent of the "BIG LIE." The term has become something to strive towards for those who work for me, the folks who help me care for my children, and the doctors that prescribe my new blood pressure medicine. The therapist on call who keeps us married knows all about it. The women on my block are so well acquainted with my pursuit of said "big lie," they find humor in knowing the truth. All of these people in my life know I am shooting for effortless, neat, smiling, unending productivity and perfect parenting; but only the kindred spirits know how hard it is to keep up. I find that I spend the most time with those who know the real story; but the pool gets smaller and smaller as bury myself in this big cover up.

I heard once that folks who "blog" take great pleasure in the opportunity to portray themselves and the the lives they live in a better light. When its all said and done, and Lily finally googles "chicken truck; " I want her to know the truth about her life growing up Sparks.

The truth is we've got more work than we have hours, more pressure to perform than we have drive; and we haven't eaten anything you can't buy from someone in a window for some time now. We have no idea what folks with the mystical weekends do with their free time, but we are pretty sure their grass isn't knee high and their fridge holds more than beer and caprisun.

When the going gets rough and the litter box makes your hair stand on end; it gets pretty ugly around here. More curse words fly freely, friendly conversation turns to arguments on a dime and your job sees more of your hours than your own digs. The children are caught eating corn dogs at 10am and commonly found trapped in the basement of your workplace--because you just can't ask someone else to watch them while you work. Life rears its ugly face and there is no hope for my "big lie."

If I sit up straight and look past the piles of stinky laundry and farms of ants gathering around crumbs I can't bear to pick up--I know there is something lovely behind my "big lie."

They may not have seen a bar of soap in the last week or so, and be able to quote any episode of Sponge Bob verbatim; but they know that this too shall pass...and when it does; they are just as well cared for in the messy times as the nights they eat all organic vegetables and catch fireflies before bedtime stories. No point trying to pull off any deception with these two. They have our number and love us anyway.


1 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger emmegab said...

good one, Becky, good one. we have GOT to get back into hoeing. What a treasured part of my life that used to be...how do we get it back if we're all so busy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home