Personal Gala
I wrote this and never posted it last month. In the interest of my parting plans, I thought it was appropriate:
Last weekend I went to a breast cancer benefit in honor of a "local celebrity." I didn't know her personally, but had watched her on tv and knew of her battle with breast cancer. Free food and cocktails is reason enough for me to be anywhere, but the chance to sit around the table with my cronies is even better.
My heart was heavy, my feet ached from a long day at work and I felt like every smile on my face was a big lie. When her husband spoke of his beloved wife, I couldn't hold back the tears. He clearly loved her very much and was honored that such a fabulous event was taking place to remember her.
I couldn't help but wonder (I hate this over-used phrase from Carrie Bradshaw, but I just have to say it to pay homage to the queen of mental musing.) what my gala would be like. I started fantasizing about the fantastic food that would be served(as opposed to the rubbery filet I was chewing), the floral arrangements on the tables(something funky and excessive), the lighting(makes everyone look skinny and casts shadows in all the right places), the really cool party favors(I was thinking jewelry of some kind), exquisite service(again, unlike what we were experiencing that night, and the band...my day dreaming dead ended at the band. I just couldn't decided who it would be. Note to self, decide what band you want to perform at your personal gala.
Then I thought about Billy standing up in front of all of those people. If he could speak at all, what would he say?
After I had planned mine, I started planning my friend's. That's right, I think everyone should have a swanky swaree' in their honor before they have gone to meet their maker. Partly to cheer up the folks left behind, but mostly to say lots of really nice things that aren't typically said.
It is my heart's desire to write funeral speeches for everyone who holds weight with me and hand deliver them (or in this case post it to my blog) before they die. Ideally, long before.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home