Friday, February 10, 2006

An eye for the arts

We have had a lovely "stairman" named Fred in our house for a week and a half. He worked two feet from the hub of our household (the kitchen) and felt like family at the end of his stay. It killed my dad and Billy to pay someone to do what they could have, but in hind site, they were so grateful for his artistry.

He didn't hesitate when Finn came up behind him with his drill and sippy cup. He welcomed the help and even used Finn's drill for some of the work. This is what Finn is used to when Billy and my dad are the construction team, but strangers aren't big fans of two year olds leaning over their shoulder and trying to get between them and the wood. I encouraged Finn to watch from a distance, which I think Fred appreciated.

At one point I was calling for Finn ( it is incredibly easy to lose your children in a bigger house), and couldn't find him anywhere. I realized the odds were pretty good he had ventured into the addition, but he was quiet, so that was a good sign. I turned the corner to find Fred with the sweetest smirk on his face, proud to initiate another man into the fellowship.

We made a new friend and got great stairs.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger View From Above said...

I will continue to reinforce the idea that YOU SHOULD WRITE! Although you could be quite happy with your round of regulars viewing what you put out there in such a heartfelt way.

Whatever the preference, I'm just glad to bear witness. Have a wonderful week.

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

becky sparks,

know, out in blogging land, that i love reading your posts. ruth does too. through your thoughts opposing emotions arise: a smile to know what is going on with you and your family and a sense of still being apart of it in some way, and the sadness of not seeing you all on somewhat of a normal basis.

secondly, i agree with the above post. your thoughts and emotions come out quite well through your writing and make me, the reader, want more.

third, if you haven't read Ann Lamott, i think you'd enjoy her.

-tom galpin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home