Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Billypedia

I have no idea what my husband does after I fall asleep, but I don't ask because I typically wake to brewing coffee, a clean kitchen, and at least one toy that has been miraculously repaired (I am guessing new batteries). Sure, I stumble on a trail of Scientific American and scary looking technical magazines...but again, no questions. It isn't that I am not interested, but let's face it; when he starts talking the physics of Japanese Robotics-my mind wanders straight to stain removal on Finn's new shirt.

These days, the only time the phone rings; it's a question for Billy. How do I? is usually how the inquiry begins. How the question ends varies from food preparation to building space ships. I am not the only one who knows that all that time he spends with his beloved techie pod casts is only feeding his information addiction.

Turns out, even my little genius has to turn for help. I stumbled on this discussion thread in our inbox this morning and caught him talking in another language to a stranger. Some women catch their husbands in infidelity...I find Billy in a chat room with Ronnie D:

(model numbers have been changed to protect their privacy)

Hi, my name is Ronnie D. (18898). How may I help you?
billy: I am hoping to upgrade the firmware to supprt wpa encryption
Ronnie D. (18898): Let me assist you on that.
Ronnie D. (18898): Can you please confirm the model number of your Linksys product?
billy: wireless adapter model wpc49
Ronnie D. (18898): May I have also the serial number of that device, please?

billy: only if i unplug the adapter
Ronnie D. (18898): Okay, are you using a Linksys router?
billy: no. netgear
Ronnie D. (18898): I see.
Ronnie D. (18898): What is the current security mode of your router?
billy: right now it is completely open in order to try to upgrade this firmware to support some version of wpa encryption.
Ronnie D. (18898): Are you trying to upgrade the firmware of the router?
billy: no, the adapter. I don't know if it is possible to upgrade the adapter to support wpa but that is the whole point of this darn conversation.
Ronnie D. (18898): Basically, that adapter will support WPA.
Ronnie D. (18898): Linksys wireless adapters doesn't have a firmware, it only have a driver.
billy: thank you.
billy: disconnected
Ronnie D. (18898): disconnected

While I have no idea what they are talking about, it's a huge part of why I love that boy.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home