Monday, March 06, 2006

The Weekend

It is rare that I find a weekend to have any balance. Typically too much work, very little time for house work and even less time for rest.

For the past 4 years, 2 months and 22 days Billy and I have been fighting for the "rest" we knew before. The self-indulgent kind of rest where nothing but your weary bones dictates the day's activities. If you needed it to be quiet, it could be. If you needed great music in the background, it would be there. The dilemma would be taking too long of a nap or watching too many tbs re-run movies. Ahh, those were the days. We have tried hiding behind closed doors, taking turns reading the paper, even leaving the house; but it just isn't the same.

This Sunday, I decided to take on a new attitude. Rather than resenting the little people who took my lazy days away; I would surrender to them. March to the beat of their drum. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Little people don't find anything remotely pleasant about doing "nothing," so neither will I.

I typically feel like I have run a marathon, no; an iron-man; by the time we get home from church and Sunday school. I opted for a strategic 20 minute nap for my biblical "sabbath" and was up and running.

The little people washed windows and cars, ran errands, folded laundry and participated in every accommodating task I could come up with. No rushing, no agenda, just being together.

Sure, I was asleep (passed out) the second she finished singing to the room full of movie stars...Sure, there wasn't much "me" time...but I was rested.

All this time I was hunting rest on my own and missing out on the rest that comes with being family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home