Saturday, February 25, 2006

Easy Button

All weekend we have been asking Lily to reconsider her thumb sucking habit. She agrees that such an addiction is socially unacceptable, but hasn't decided if she really cares what the rest of the world thinks about a life-time thumb sucker.

When I encourage her to refrain, her response is strong and consistent, "IT'S TOO HARD!!!"

I promptly remind her that it will be diffucult, but I know she can do it if she chooses to.

Where is that "easy button" I hear the office supply store bragging about?

When I look into the eyes of these parents; I find myself begging God for that glorious shiny red button. An oral fixation that leads to bucked teeth pales in comparison to this beast.

"IT'S TOO HARD!," my heart cries; "it's just too hard."

My niece and nephew don't get a choice and neither do their parents. How I wish there was an easy option they could cling to. Sure, there are promises that ensure good endings, but no easy buttons in sight.

You won't hear them asking for a way out, these proud parents. Like young men going to the front lines; eager to serve, terrified how things will work out.

I just watch and learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home