Heart Day
My dad figured out a couple of years ago that I wasn't married to a romantic.
This concerned him a bit, but I assured him my husband and I could carry on without "the romance." My dad considers romance to be next to godliness and fears for the world's end when he thinks about how few men serenade their wives. His two favorite movies are Sleepless in Seattle and While You Were Sleeping. Enough said.
Before I was married, I always received a poem, flowers, chocolate etc... on Valentine's Day. From Dad. Once I tied the knot, part of "leaving and cleaving" was that my husband became my only valentine. Billy gave it a good shot in the beginning; but after 15 years of being my beau, he had lost interest. His idea of romance is sharing a PBR (PBR being the splurge part) on the porch and I am okay with that. Usually.
We both agree it's a cheesy holiday and one more excuse to spend money we don't have.
This year he threw me for a loop. It wasn't the meal he made just for me or the perfume (wrapped!) that sent me over the edge. He bought my kids valentines. That's right; he bought them each candy themed by their favorite characters and a little toy that only he would know how much they would appreciate. They both received cards picked just for them and signed by their Papa. I haven't seen a card from Billy in years, so this was particularly impressive to me.
I didn't know he knew this stuff even existed, let alone knew there were stores where you could buy it.
The real joy was watching him "romance" his children. Giving them a gift that was just from him. It may not have been a sonnet, but I think he did my Daddy proud.
Lily may not remember this year, but she knows who her valentine is and I think every little girl should. I know I do.

2 Comments:
Very sweet and endearing.
And you're quite right. The first male/female relationship a girl has is with her father.
Yay for the everlasting bond between daddies and daughters!
tears and love.
Post a Comment
<< Home