Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Training Days



We said we wouldn't start "potty training" until he was ready, but if being honest, neither of us are big fans of the kind of work that involves "accidents." We already have a 100 pound dog that struggles with incontinence, and a cat (house guest) who shows his disdain for his temporary home with misplaced fecal matter. Some might call it lazy, but we have been buying diapers for four straight years-why stop now?

In the past week, I have suggested to FP that he should consider trying to use the big-boy potty. Not because he has to, but because all the other humans in the house do and we have found it useful. He was reluctant, so I took this as my "he's not ready" signal.

It was 5am when I heard the thump, thump, thump that I have become accustomed to when we added stairs to our house. "Surely not," I thought, "maybe if I pretend I am asleep, he will take the hint and thump right back to bed."

With my eyes pierced tightly, I could only hear him struggle through the dark. He made his way to my bed and attempted to wake me by feverishly poking at my face. I gave up my charade and opened my eyes to a glorious sight-a bare naked boy (he had already taken the step to remove his diaper) holding his training toilet.

My feet have never hit the ground faster. "Wow, buddy, do you need to go?"

"It too dark," he mumbles. "mamma help."

He made his lengthy deposit and we had our own little celebration in the bright lights of the bathroom. A moment he will have forgotten by the time day breaks, but I won't.

Now, wide awake and no hope of returning to sleep...I prepare myself for "training day (which includes the terrifying feat of leaving the house with big boy underwear)." Here goes nothing.